Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
Call Now 13 20 30


5 Things You Should Do If You Are Injured At Work

5 Things You Should Do If You Are Injured At Work

  1. Ensure that you are out of immediate danger and focus on remaining calm. Call 000 or report the incident to your immediate supervisor to receive any necessary treatment. Alert your employer that an incident has occurred, which should be investigated to establish the cause of the incident and whether remedial action should be taken to ensure it does not happen again.
  1. Complete an incident report. This is usually done in a meeting with your immediate supervisor. Do NOT sign an incident report without reading its contents. The legal effect of signing a document is that you are confirming you agree with its contents. It is a statement made by you and you may be cross examined on any out of court statement that is adverse to your interests. If you are being pressured into signing an incident report, you should seek legal advice immediately. It is recommended that before you sign an incident report you obtain legal advice as to whether it sufficiently outlines the incident and applicable negligence of your employer.An incident report is important as it is a record of what happened. Over time memories fade and an incident report can serve to protect evidence which enables you to pursue your legal rights.
  2. Whether or not you are taken to the hospital, you will be discharged into the care of your general practitioner. Your GP will record your attendance and any findings. This record may be used as evidence that you sustained an injury from the incident. If you are injured your GP will assist in your rehabilitation to return to work. Your personal injury lawyer will be able to discuss the procedure with your GP to ensure that you obtain your entitlements and achieve the best health outcome possible.
  3. While in an appointment with your GP you should obtain a Workers Compensation Medical Certificate. WorkCover Queensland will only accept this specific medical certificate and not the general unfit for work certificate you are given when you have a cold. A Workers Compensation Medical Certificate should be obtained if you require time off work and/or if you require medical treatment/rehabilitation. This medical certificate serves as proof that you have sustained an injury and WorkCover Queensland will consider the certificate when determining whether to accept or reject your application for compensation. Your personal injury lawyer can provide you with the correct certificate to take to your appointment.
  4. Lodge an application for compensation with WorkCover Queensland or your self-insured employer. Your personal injury lawyer will ensure a complete and accurate statement about the incident is provided and your injuries adequately described. Failing to do so may result in your claim being rejected or injuries being missed and therefore not compensated.

The application should be done within 20 business days of the incident causing injury. You may lodge the application after this time but you will only be entitled to back dated benefits from 20 days before lodgement. It is important to seek legal advice without delay to obtain all of your entitlements.

You must lodge an application within 6 months of your entitlement arising for it to be considered unless your failure to lodge was a mistake, you were out of the State, or you have a reasonable cause. Your personal injury lawyer can assist you to seek an extension to lodge an application where the initial 6 months have lapsed.

If your application for compensation is accepted, you may be entitled to payments for lost wages and payments for treatment/rehabilitation expenses. WorkCover Queensland will assist you to get better and return to work if you are able.

In summary, the 5 things you should do if you are injured at work are:

  1. Report the incident to your immediate supervisor or fellow worker if you are immobile
  2. Complete an incident report
  3. Go see your general practitioner
  4. Get a Workers Compensation Medical Certificate
  5. Lodge an application for compensation with WorkCover Queensland or your self-insured employer

Your personal injury lawyer will assist you to protect your rights, maximise the benefits you are entitled to and take the hassle out of the process so you can focus on your recovery.

  • 8 Apr | '2016




Please contact our media relations manager – Krisztina via the email or number below.